If you are not a veteran, please consider applying for our Summer Undergraduate Research Experience program.
The Center for Sustainable Nanotechnology, through support from the National Science Foundation, hosts a Research Experience for Veterans (REV) program focused on Sustainable Nanotechnology. The CSN and NSF recognize that Veterans are underrepresented in America’s science and technology sectors. We are eager for student Veterans to participate in research for class credit during the school year. Additionally, selected participants will have the opportunity to be paid for 10 weeks of summer research in collaboration with one or more principal investigators of the Center for Sustainable Nanotechnology. Each student will be located at one of the participating institutions but will interact with faculty and students at all institutions via in-person and online interactions. (CSN institutions are the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Augsburg University, Boston University, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, Johns Hopkins University, University of California-Riverside, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Iowa, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, University of Minnesota, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.)
Research project examples include:
- Synthesis and functionalization of novel types of nanomaterials
- Molecular-level interaction of nanomaterials with lipid bilayers
- Influence of surface ligands and nanoparticle bulk composition on uptake of nanoparticles by organisms
- Molecular-level changes induced in organisms by exposure to nanoparticles
- Development and application of methods for in situ characterization of nanomaterials in biological/environmental matrices
- Computational characterization and prediction of SNPs across many scales (from angstroms to meters)
- Faculty-led seminars on various topics in sustainability and nanotechnology
- Tutorials on job searching in the science & technology sectors
- Tutorials on applying to, surviving, and excelling in graduate school
- Presentation of your research results and conclusions to other students and faculty
- Activities with other student veterans in the REV program
- Training in cross-disciplinary research linking chemistry with biological science and materials science
- Direct interaction with faculty mentors
- Students receive a $5,000 stipend
- In addition to the stipend, the CSN also provides:
- Housing and meals
- Travel expenses to and from the host institution
- Travel expenses to and from the University of Minnesota for an orientation meeting at the beginning of the summer
- Program Dates: 10 weeks beginning late May/early June (exact dates depend on the schedule of the student and the host institution)
- To apply for our summer 2020 program, click here.
For information on our civilian Summer Undergraduate Research Experience program, click here.